Founded in 2006, the creation of GreenGeeks came from a focused mindset for providing environmentally friendly and budget-conscious web hosting. Its services cater to both intermediate and beginner website owners looking to make a good upgrade or a great start.
Over 14 years later, GreenGeeks now hosts over 500,000 websites and caters to more than 40,000 customers and is still growing. Aspects such as customer service and an environmentally conscious approach have garnered frequent mentions that make this company stand out among its competitors and have earned the company dozens of awards.
GreenGeeks falters a little when examining the terms of its contract stipulations and how it fails to retain a fair pricing model in the long run. Like many of its competitors, it offers a 99.9 % uptime guarantee, but it is unclear whether this guarantee includes any refunds.
These issues and more are the subject of this review, where we try to get to the bottom of what the Greenkeeps experience can genuinely offer and what it cannot.
Without further ado, we hope you find this GreenGeeks review enlightening.
- Best Hosting Company in Australia
- Best Hosting Company in Singapore
- Best Hosting Company in Canada
- Best Hosting Company in Malaysia
GreenGeeks gives a plethora of inexpensive options for hosting. The Lite option offers a special introductory price of $2.95 per month for a plan that includes one website, unlimited web space, unlimited data transfer, standard performance, and a free SSL certificate.
Likewise, the Pro option offers all the features from the Lite package while taking it up a notch with unlimited websites and 2x performance for the introductory price of $5.95 per month.
The Premium option takes that even further with free premium SSL, 4X performance, and the addition of a free dedicated IP feature, all included for an introductory price of $11.95 per month.
For this GreenGeeks evaluation, we analyzed various customer reviews that singled out customer support. Communication between the company’s customer support personnel and customers is frequently referred to as pleasant, with a rapid response rate to inquiries.
One notable flaw in their system is how some answers can come out grammatically incorrect when communicated through chat. It’s not clear why these grammar errors happened but they may cause communication issues.
Live chat, email, and phone support are all avenues for getting help. Live chat is available 24/7, but phone support will only be accessible during business hours.
- Page loading time is billed at around 445ms, a satisfactory number that reaches above the industry average
- The company’s green hosting initiative makes for a unique selling point that no other hosting company can yet match, offering a whopping 300% renewable energy commitment
- Robust security features ensure 24/7 protection with optional functions that allow for additional security measures
- Numerous server locations provide high-quality service
- Complimentary website migration and domain name
- Accessing the introductory price for their services requires a 3-year commitment
- After the initial year of the offered free domain, registration for a domain name can get quite expensive, especially with the yearly pricing
- The refunding policy has some questionable stipulations
Right off the bat, GreenGeeks comes out swinging with a few advantages, some unique to its portfolio. Its introductory price offers are great for both startups and veteran websites that want to get a little something more. Its customer support reviews show it delivers pretty much as expected with fast response times that answer user queries succinctly.
Its green hosting initiative is practically its ace in the hole, highlighting an environmentally conscious mindset that few can rival.
The weakest points of GreenGeeks are in how the company fulfills its offers, the requirement to commit long term to access its more reasonable price points, and its seeming lack of refunds for its uptime guarantee and domain registration fees.
GreenGeeks still presents solid offerings, although expectations may need a little adjustment.